Lifespan® Solid Select at a glance
Wood has long been the choice of builders. It is beautiful, versatile and easy to work with. However, wood in an exterior situation is also subject to rot, fungal decay and insect attack. With LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT pressure treated, primed boards, wood now comes with long-lasting durability and low-maintenance peace of mind.
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT is protected with the combination of a pressure treatment using organic biocides to ward off insects and fungal decay, a proprietary water repellency system to maximize dimensional stability and an alkyd-based primer to provide superior durability against the elements. This allows LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT to be offered with a limited lifetime warranty against fungal decay and insect damage, including termites.
The raw material for LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT comprises high grade clear lumber produced from pruned radiata pine logs. These come only from renewable sources and we utilize leading technology and innovative techniques to maximize the recovery of logs into finished products and minimize waste in our mills.
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT is manufactured in our Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified mills (FSC® SCS-COC-00199).
- Limited lifetime substrate warranty against fungal decay and insect damage, including termites
- Manufactured from solid high grade wood with no fingerjoints or knots
- Pressure treated with an EPA approved organic preservative, delivering treatment to the core
- Non-corrosive to fasteners
- FSC® certified
- Multi-layer protection resists water uptake and enhances dimensional stability
- Alkyd primer provides smooth defect-free surface ready for top-coating
- Suitable for exterior and interior needs
- Real wood!!
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT is manufactured with radiata pine from environmentally certified pine tree farms. Our processing mills are certified by the FSC® (www.fsc.org), demonstrating that they meet strict environmental, social, and economic standards.
We utilize leading technology and innovative techniques to maximize the recovery of logs into finished products and minimize waste in our mills. Our sawmill is equipped with optimizing scanners on all key machine centers, including an optimizing grade scanner on the new edger (installed Sept 2015). Our manufacturing equipment includes optimized ripping, grade scanning optimized defecting/cross-cutting, and modern Weinig high-speed planers for a moulding quality finish.Read less
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT has been treated with Vacsol™ Azure, a solvent-based (non-aqueous), colorless, organic (metal free) wood preservative (LOSP-Light Organic Solvent Preservative), supplied by Arch Wood Protection (NZ) – a Lonza company
- Propiconazole and tebuconazole are EPA approved systemic fungicides, used widely to control mould and mildew in agricultural and horticultural applications. Together, they protect lumber from a wide range of wood destroying fungi.
- Permethrin is an EPA registered insecticide used to protect wood against termites and borers. Permethrin has low mammalian toxicity and is approved for use in many agricultural, household and pharmaceutical applications.
This combination has been specifically formulated as an EPA approved wood preservative. It can be used in American Wood Protection Association UC3A applications. The chemicals are insoluble in water, remaining permanently in the wood and not leaching. The LOSP used in LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT is non-corrosive to fasteners, so LIFESPAN can be used with regular galvanized fasteners in exterior applications and any fastener type in interior applications.
Unlike traditional dip treatments and newer spray-on treatments that only reach outside surfaces, LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT is pressure treated, ensuring that the organic biocide penetrates and protects the entire sapwood substrate with precise quantities of preservative. This process avoids the surface roughness and grain-raising often associated with water-borne preservatives.
During pressure treatment, the wood is also impregnated with waxes and resins, which bond with the wood. These resist moisture uptake, enhancing the dimensional stability of LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT even when exposed to harsh environments of high humidity and precipitation. After treatment, the solvent is allowed to evaporate sufficiently to permit subsequent priming, packaging and shipping.Read less
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT factory-applied two-coat alkyd primer system further protects against water infiltration and weathering. The first full primer coat provides deep penetration and high film build to provide water repellence and to limit cracking. The second primer coat acts as an undercoat, providing a smooth, even, defect-free surface for topcoating. The primers used in LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT are supplied by PPG Industries.
Manufactured from C & Better Select grade kiln dried, tree farmed, radiata pine.
Solvent treated with active ingredients tebuconazole, propiconazole and permethrin to 0.08%m/m total azole average (0.06%m/m minimum).
Treatment is in accordance with NZS3640 and AS 1604.1:H3 standards (0.06% minimum), which exceed AWPA requirements (0.0185% minimum).
Two coats high-quality alkyd primer applied at 3-4 wet mils. Total dry film build 3-4 mils.
No material visible defects: birdseye, tear out, etc. allowed prior to last primer coat.
Pitch marks 1/16” maximum.
Width +0-1/32” (+0-0.5mm) – at time of manufacture
Thickness +0-1/32” (+0-0.5mm) – at time of manufacture.
10-15%MC (90% of pieces).
Straightness (as permitted by WWPA Lumber Grading Rules)
Cup: 1/32” in up to and including 6”, 1/16” in 8”, 3/32” in 10”, and 1/8” in 12”
Bow: 1-1/2” in 16ft. Crook: 1” in 4”, 7/8” in 6”, 3/4” in 8”, 5/8” in 10”, and 1/2” in 12” (All on 16ft basis).
Twist: 1/4” in 4”, 3/8” in 6”, 1/2” in 8”, 5/8” in 10”, and 3/4” in 12” (All on 16ft basis).
- Distortion permitted in occasional pieces
- Distortion assessed at time of manufacture, there may be some movement in response to atmospheric humidity changes and subsequent moisture content changes after manufacture.
LIFESPAN SOLID SELECT products are suitable for a range of interior and exterior above ground building applications.
Examples of such products include:
- Trim boards: surfaced all sides, eased edges or with one rough-sawn face
- Exterior mouldings (brick mould, lattice, quarter round, etc.)
- Available in a range of patterns
- Window components (sash, casement sash, jambs) - machined cut stock
- Mouldings: brick mould
- Door frames
- Stiles, rails (especially door bottoms)
- Sill substrate
- Mouldings: brick mould
- Crown Backer
- Trim around doors and windows